The best way to prevent roof-related problems and strengthen the weather resistance of your commercial roof is through regular, consistent care, and preventive maintenance. We’ve covered the importance of properly maintaining your commercial roof in this blog post.
When it comes to proper maintenance, the frequency of necessary inspections depends on several factors, such as the age of the roof, recent weather (especially severe), and any unique conditions to your building. Generally, it’s best to schedule an inspection every six months. For example, plan for one in the Fall and one in the Spring to keep track of the condition of your roof.
Here are some points to consider when hiring a professional contractor to inspect or maintain your roof:
- Always ask for established, licensed, or bonded professional general contractors.
- Ask for and check references that explicitly include other commercial buildings, preferably regarding work they’ve done on other commercial roofs.
- Contact your local Better Business Bureau to make sure they are accredited and check for complaints filed against the inspector.
- Obtain bids from at least 2-4 general contractors. Make sure the proposal clearly defines the work that will be done, including hauling away of debris and grounds cleanup.
- Remember that lowest price isn’t always the best bid. You often get what you pay for, and paying for lower quality materials and workmanship could mean more money in the long run.
- If you’re installing a new roof on an existing building, make sure that the roof deck is inspected for water soaked or deteriorated material; have any damaged material replaced as part of the contract.
- Discuss, verify then receive the warranty information in writing. Confirm what is and what is not covered.
- All inspections should look for and develop a repair plan for the items that indicate signs of problems described above.
- Inspections should look for signs of previous leaks or other problems to make sure that repairs have stayed intact.
Any quality professional contractor can also help to determine the health of the roof, estimate the remaining life of the roof, help you develop a maintenance plan, and identify additional steps to protect the roof.
QC Commercial Construction is a licensed and insured commercial general contractor specializing in business tenant build-outs and improvements. We have earned a solid reputation and an excellent record of successful projects based on over 25 years of experience. From demolition to final inspection, our teams of professional craftsmen focus on quality assurance while maintaining cost control and managing scheduling constraints.
If you have any questions surrounding proper maintenance for your commercial roof or would like to receive a quote, call (404) 483-7446 or simply contact us here anytime! We would be happy to discuss address and discuss any questions you may have.